Going to school but…

I’m in community college part time but want a PhD in physics. Going part time to balance work and school. I’m 34 now. By the time I finish I’ll be 50. Is this too old? I REALLY want a PhD because that’s where I learn the really exciting stuff.

14 Likes

In 16 years you’ll be 50 whether you get your PhD or not.

You’re never too old to follow your dreams.

The best time to plant a tree was 15 years ago. The second best time to plant a tree is today.

10 Likes

I’m still going regardless. I’m just worried because I have been developing a theory on the big bang for years and want to see if I can finish it. I don’t want to be too old. But who knows maybe my idea is crap lol

6 Likes

I got my degree from a community college in 2023 when I was 62.

8 Likes

That makes me feel a lot better. Is it common for people to get a degree this late in life?

2 Likes

ChatGPT says it’s more common then you would think.

2 Likes

People of all kinds of ages and backgrounds go to community college and universities. Why do you think it’s called “community” college? LOL

7 Likes

Good! I feel a bit more confident.

2 Likes

lol! You were always a cool and funny guy!

2 Likes

Pretty much this. In 16 years you can be 50 with a PhD or 50 without a PhD, the times gonna pass regardless.

7 Likes

It’ll pass for me fast. I always found physics amazing and fun!

2 Likes

@PhotoGuy that’s a great plan! It doesn’t matter how old you’ll be, as long as you enjoy what you’re doing. Go for it!

2 Likes

That’s so amazing you could develop a big bang theory of yourself. There will be new theories in cosmology every decades.

I hope you could develop your theory within the frame of the General Theory of relativity.

best wishes.

2 Likes

Never stop learning. That’s my motto

5 Likes

50? Might be for some, but not all.

1 Like

Go for it @PhotoGuy ! Also, it is quite possible that along the way you can pick up the pace a bit more and might finish quicker. I found studying to be of such worth to my well being.

1 Like

I was classed as a mature student

The university seemed to take on a lot of older students

The oldest I think was mid 50’s

1 Like

These are greater barriers than age: dysgraphia;(inc slow writing), slow typing, executive dysfunction

I had really bad psychosis in the last year

Forced myself to finish but once I did everything fell apart quickly

Wanted to do more study but instead I was hospitalised

1 Like

I may be getting ahead of myself though. I don’t know enough math yet.

2 Likes