This is just an expressive post or discussion of wasted time. I’m 31 soon and I feel like I’m restricted by money to do stuff. Yet at the same time, things I could do, I chose not to because I don’t like the people I’d have to do it with. The negative energy. Am I wasting my time?
I’ve spent the last four years stopping and starting my studies and I’ve only managed 90credits out of the first 120 of a 360 programme. That’s in four years. By the time I finish it’ll be summer '29. It’s when I’ll be 34 years old. That’s three years is the earliest I can take complete according to the rules. In total I’d have spent 7 years from when I originally first started.
I just feel in that time I could have been earning and doing stuff. But then I think of my other illness which is so up/down that I can’t work yet.
My adult life so far, because of psychosis and feeling out of control of myself or life. I’ve led myself to use what I call intuition but does intuition really exist? Am I living correctly by feeling my emotions and thoughts combined - deciphering a gut feeling so to speak? or do I need to try to take more control somehow of something that ultimately cannot be controlled?
Idk, I feel down in the dumps at the moment. I’m terrified I’m wasting my life.
It seems like your too sick to work but studying is doable for now. Maybe when you finish studying you will be ready for work or the next milestone. Everyone is unique and i think you are doing the best you can. Your obviously talented to be able to study your physics and maths etc keep going as far as you can cope with!
Wasting your life is an angst that is more learned from this society than a real concern imo. There are things you can do that can bring a sense of accomplishment and pride but they can be very simple things like living a life of charity and helping others.. not necessarily material accomplishments. Time is passing anyway… do something you enjoy whether you will succeed at it or will be a waste by someones evaluation. Ultimately your life is only really relevant to you and what you think and feel about it. Theres more than enough people to keep society going. Every century theres a new lot of people albiet with some overlap who will not acknowledge the accomplishments of those in the prior centuries unless very notable.
34 is super young. Age is relative. In this economy most people don’t have a stable identity. They’re forced to reinvent themselves even at 60 years of age. I felt the same going for a degree at 35. You gotta do what you gotta do. Time really does fly. Soon it will be autumn/fall then winter then a new year.
Forget completing an undergraduate degree. It’s a waste of time & effort. I was in university during the majority of my 20s and when I turned 28-years old. I realized I wasn’t going to graduate. Better to find part-time work or volunteer now and utilize the time rather than try to earn a degree that won’t guarantee a good job. That’s IMHO.
Yeah I can appreciate that, but our circumstances are different. I know I can graduate. And it’s needed for the field I want to go into (teaching). So it’s not useless for me
Don’t feel bad big guy. I agree with @77nick77 , age is really just a number. I didn’t get my last two associate degrees until I was in my late 30s. Shoot, I’m 45 and if I can ever get more funding from the VA I’ll get my bachelors in just about anything for the sake of getting a BA/BS.
@anon80779285 I’m so sorry you’re hurting. I go through similar things. I just have two comments. It took me ten years to get my undergrad degree. Ten agonizing years. I and in your car you’ll be 34 when you get your degree. Just remember you can choose to be 34 with a degree or 34 without it. It doesn’t matter your age, just that you see it through. It will be worth it. I got my law degree here in the US and even though I was older than all my classmates I still have that to look back on. I’m 55 now and have been on disability for four years now. Although I did get to the point where I couldn’t do the job anymore I have the memories and the knowledge that I did something with my life and that makes all the difference for me. His luck. And as fast as mugs my therapist days that it will get better and I just try really hard to believe her. She believes in me so I guess I should try to as well. I’ve and I believe in YOU.
It took me 4 years to validate my first year of Mathematics and informatics applied to social sciences Bachelor degree
Then, I started from the second year a Economics and management Bachelor degree in English
I did this Bachelor degree 2 years and couldn’t go to the 3rd year
It felt so distressing to struggle that much
I saw all my friends starting to work in their studying field, it was so hurtful
People (mostly family) told me things like I don’t do much efforts while I made myself sick thinking about studying
I agree with people in this thread 34 is young and what matters is to obtain something you want not your age
One of the biggest regret of people is to not study or not too long while (at least in France) you can study at any age easily
My bro finished his law Master in his 30s, my sister is around 34 and doesn’t know what she will do(she was doing a biology Bachelor degree but with her mental health issues she struggles so much)
There is nothing wrong with completing your degree at an older age. Lots of people do it. It’s something that you accomplish that shows you work hard and stick through the tough times to completion. No shame in that at all.
For those who can’t complete a degree, they can find other goals to accomplish.
I started studying for 1 1/2 years when i was 37, and finished up when I was 39. I don’t work within the field currently, but I don’t regret it at all. Quite possibly I can fall back on this education later for a job, and no matter it is a interesting field for me to learn about even if I don’t work with it.
You guys are being helpful. I do feel the guilt and the fear but at least the point about having it vs not having it after time elapsed is true.
Who knows, if I get some passion back. I may even get carried away by interest/passion and forget that it takes some time to complete. Which would actually speed it up.
I think if you have trouble with motivation you should choose with the heart. It’s hard enough for us sz’s to be motivated generally. What studies are we talking about currently? I recall you switched a lot. I am new on the forum now but we used to talk on the old one about studying.
It’s a tough position to be in, I know. In any case, don’t worry about the women. They will come once you found your way. The right woman will find attractive the way you dealt with your struggles.
intuition exists. Capitalism puts the idea of „wasting time” in our head. Its to make people work and do things all the time so they buy ■■■■ tons of unuseful stuff and the corporations profit. But theres no such thing as wasting time. You are going your own unique way, everything is in its right place, everything is as its supposed to be, let the guilt leave you, so the joy can return. Your worrying only paralyses you, it doesnt help. Dont look at others. Everyone is struggling, everyone tries not to show it. Everyone has their own way and their own time of achieving things. Every day is an achievement. May peace be upon you