Schizophrenia ruined my life

Though I’m on the path to wellness, schizophrenia ruined my life. It ruined my ability to think clearly, damaged my future job wise, etc. it has also held me back from showing my art to the world. Would you consider the fact that schizophrenia ruined your life also?

9 Likes

Its definitely changed the trajectory of my life. But i dont think about how things could have gone differently. I actually suspect i may have become a terrible person if i had never developed mental health issues.

3 Likes

Schizophrenia has made me more aware of people’s feelings, that’s one positive thing.

6 Likes

i lost a career in architecture due to sz…I accepted my fate on disability but for a long time I was bitter about my career loss…I designed many homes that are still being bought and built today so I feel ok about it now.

6 Likes

I’m becoming more motivated to show my photographs to art collectors and museums and gallery owners. I’m no longer letting schizophrenia run my life.

5 Likes

OCD is ruining my life

2 Likes

Schizophrenia took many years of my life as well during psychosis, COst me jobs and a house and all kinds of stuff, but you cant change the past, you can only try to look forward to the future.

Regretting the past for years gets you nowhere. Accepting that it happened and trying to move forward is the only productive option.

7 Likes

That’s what I’m trying to do too. I’m finally trying to make my name as an artist and getting my work out there. I want my art to be known.

3 Likes

Schizophrenia has ruined my life as well. All the could have been’s.

2 Likes

That’s the way I feel.

2 Likes

I guess but I could have been normal and eaten by a water buffalo so who knows

5 Likes

I was coming out of high school with a full-ride scholarship to Johns Hopkins…then sza took over and I spent the next 10 years in and out of hospitals and state institutions. I lost all of my friends and any hope of completing my dream to go to medical school. Eventually I was able to get my master’s degree but when I tried to work the sza raised its ugly head again and I lost that job after 6 months. I’m on disability now and always will be…but at least I’m living on my own now, with a car and dog, and I now have a few friends…it is what it is.

11 Likes

I was just out of high school and had a promising future to studying at university when sza struck. Had no career, only two casual jobs (2009 and 2012) and didn’t get my driver’s licence due to avolition. So in a way sza ruined my life big time.

What I do have though is the ability to write, a marriage which is just about surviving and a faith. Which is not so bad really. I have a few friends too, two with sza like me. So I didn’t do too badly.

3 Likes

I try not to think about it anymore. What’s happened has happened. I’ll do what I can about the aspects of life that can be influenced by me. Otherwise, whatever. This is the hand I’ve been dealt in life; nothing will change it.

4 Likes

I have trashed my life multiple times

Never learn to give up properly but came close at least 3 times

Thought in 2022 that would be it but was applying for odd jobs with places who look after their employees and got a job with one

Was a surprise

Just find when I don’t have a purpose I drift and it makes me worse

3 Likes

Did not have high expectations of life in general in any case to begin with. But surprise, surprise - mental illness came to ruin even those modest expectations. So technically going mental was ruinous, no reasonable life was had. But perhaps that was the “plan” all along. Life is what you make of it, was unable to make much of it; this random merry go around called life doing it’s tricks. :carousel_horse: :clockwise_vertical_arrows:

2 Likes

It’s complex. ASD and SMI have resulted in severe underachievement. Without it though I wouldn’t have met my late wife, and have the care and love that I have.

3 Likes

iDK, before I got schizophrenia I was just drifting in life. Doing drugs, going from job to job, eventually friendless and broke. Schizophrenia has certainly not been a positive thing but I’ve been a lot more productive with it than I was before I got sick. I’ve held jobs for years, lived on my own, lived by myself, graduated from college, had friends, traveled, got clean and sober, and done a lot of fun things. Yeah, it’s caused me a lot of misery but I’ve also had high points in life with it.

9 Likes

Yeah I would have to say that schizophrenia and bipolar ruined my life

3 Likes

Who knows, but most likely if not for sz/ psychosis I’d have wife, kids, career, the whole nine. Life is not that bad now, ultimately you have to find meaning in it wharever happens, but if I had a choice I’d do it again fresh without the sz.

1 Like