So I guess Sweetpotatopie will be taking over the forum

when I die during my Colonoscopy next week. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I mean, she has admin so she has the tools to carry on.

I know darn well Colonoscopies are routine and they almost always go well, but I hate, and I mean HATE going under anesthesia. I dont like the loss of control and it makes me worry.

Anywho, in the event of my untimely demise, sayonara and all.

22 Likes

Jeeez, that’s morbid.

How many people die from colonoscopy’s?

Deaths directly caused by colonoscopy are very rare.

Most studies estimate the risk of death at roughly 1 to 3 deaths per 100,000 colonoscopies (about 0.001%–0.003%). Some studies have found rates as high as about 1 death per 10,000–15,000 procedures, particularly in older patients or when polyps are removed.

The main causes of serious complications are:

  • A tear (perforation) in the colon
  • Severe bleeding after polyp removal
  • Heart or lung problems related to sedation or underlying medical conditions

To put the risk in perspective:

  • The chance of dying from colonoscopy is much lower than 1%.
  • Colonoscopy screening helps prevent deaths from colorectal cancer by finding and removing precancerous polyps.

If you’re asking because you’re considering having a colonoscopy, I can also explain how the risks change based on your age, health conditions, and whether it’s a screening exam or one involving polyp removal.

2 Likes

Why are you getting a colonoscopy?

1 Like

AI I assume.

Yes, I am aware that it is very rare. However, I have a fear of anesthesia and being put under it. Joan rivers had an incident where she died during a routine endoscopy, for example.

I logically know its not likely, but I still have the willies about it.

2 Likes

Death by ass. Sorry.

4 Likes

Because I’m 53 and had polyps during my first one. I was supposed to have another quite some time ago but delayed.

1 Like

Do you have to drink something that makes you poop a lot the day before?

1 Like

Oh ok. Well best of luck to you. I had anesthesia last Saturday and I’m still recovering

1 Like

Yes, I have to take 2 forms of laxitives. One pill and one powder. That part sucks as well. Cant eat for like 30 hours or so.

2 Likes

I believe you can have jello or chicken broth ask your dr

2 Likes

If it’s the camera up the butt then it’s not too bad, I’ve had that had that twice. still here, lol

1 Like

Yes, this is the second for me as well. No its not too bad. The prep sucks…but like I said, I have a fear of anesthesia.

2 Likes

I don’t think I had anaesthesia.

1 Like

interesting. I have seen where they have these procedures for some folks under milder drugs that do not put them fully under. During mine I have been fully knocked out though.l

1 Like

Wish you well @SzSupportAdmin ,come back with good results ..

1 Like

oh before you know it , you’ll wake up and they will waiting for you to pass gas…the end of the test…good luck…I don’t mind being put under…sorry it scares you.

1 Like

All the best! I hope you find a way to relax; fears are hard to deal with.

Take some deep breaths before the session

1 Like

You’ll be ok. I’m sorry you are scared. Maybe ask for a form of anesthesia that doesn’t cause loss of consciousness??? I know someone who was awake for his colonoscopy

1 Like

Scared might be too strong of a word, but it is giving me the heebee jeebees a bit. I don’t know if I have a choice of anesthesia but I suppose I could ask.

1 Like

Dude.

I was supposed to/planned to have a D&C this coming Monday…

It’s where they put you to sleep, forcefully dilate your cervix and then scrape out your uterus :melting_face:

(I was having issues with postpartum stuff. I’ll save yall the details)

But those issues have completely disappeared now…

Soooo… I’m totally not gonna get that procedure done now…

5 Likes