Luke83
April 7, 2026, 4:45pm
1
I’m currently prescribed 7.5mg Olanzapine. I reduced to this in early December 2025 from 10mg.
I see my psychiatrist for the first time on the 29th of this month.
I won’t to lower my dose to 5mg Olanzapine. Do you think he will do this?
What is anyone’s experience with this?
3 Likes
Wave
April 7, 2026, 4:59pm
2
It really depends on the doctor.
If he’s a new doctor he might be reluctant to make any new medication adjustments right away.
But you never know
I know that my doctor probably would leave the dose alone.
He’s pretty conservative.
2 Likes
Ish
April 7, 2026, 5:00pm
3
it really depends on who your doctor is. you can ask and see what they say. mine was accommodating but in my experience not all of them are.
2 Likes
Joker
April 7, 2026, 5:06pm
4
They will be led by the patient in my experience with the NHS
But eventually they will lose patience with you messing around with APs if you keep causing psychosis to worsen
How long that will take its hard to say
But they do like to empower the patient when appropriate
Remember these drugs are not tic tacs and you have them for a good reason
1 Like
My doctor says he can’t force me to do anything.
2 Likes
Luke83
September 23, 2026, 11:57am
6
The psychiatrist lowered my dose of antipsychotics to 5mg Olanzapine in the end. That was during early April.
Definitely been feeling a lot better mentally, clearer headed. Greater mental processing power etc. physically more energy as well.
so has been a good move overall.
still can tell I’m on medication though. Feel tired after exercise and go to bed early. Just that general Olanzapine feeling.
would like to reduce to 2.5mg next but can’t honestly see that happening.
2 Likes
Joker
September 23, 2026, 12:07pm
7
Might be possible
But unfortunately for it to work I think you need to go slow
Every time I went cold turkey and that never worked well
1 Like
Luke83
September 24, 2026, 8:01am
8
Yeah would definitely go slow. But equally probably just need to accept that 5mg Olanzapine is the best I’m going to achieve.
Are you symptomless on 5mg? If so then 2.5mg is the next step.
Luke83
September 24, 2026, 8:31am
11
Yeah definitely is glad to only be on 5mg of it though!
Life was very difficult when I was on higher doses. Still amazes me that I managed to work full time and exercise regularly while on it from ranges to 12.5 to 7.5mg.
I took a double dose by mistake and felt paralysed! Had to take some time off of work.
just think I need to make the best of it with Olanzapine as I’ve tried Aripiprazole and was dreadful on it. And as for the others, I’d have to start on a standard dose rather than a lower one like what I’m on.
So seems to be better the problem you know unfortunately.
1 Like